For some reason, I thought that globally increasing ice melt would have a tendency to push the oceans toward the less salty side. After reading this Discovery News article, I found that my assumptions were not completely right. In fact, NASA will be launching a new satellite in several months that will monitor ocean salinity. Salinity and temperature of seawater are what regulate how dense the water is in our oceans. Circulating deep-ocean currents are propelled by variations in seawater density. Overall, the seawater is becoming slightly more fresh, but the Discovery News article says that subtropical regions are showing increased salinity.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Salt and the Global Water Cycle
For some reason, I thought that globally increasing ice melt would have a tendency to push the oceans toward the less salty side. After reading this Discovery News article, I found that my assumptions were not completely right. In fact, NASA will be launching a new satellite in several months that will monitor ocean salinity. Salinity and temperature of seawater are what regulate how dense the water is in our oceans. Circulating deep-ocean currents are propelled by variations in seawater density. Overall, the seawater is becoming slightly more fresh, but the Discovery News article says that subtropical regions are showing increased salinity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment